What is Khan Academy Kids?
Khan Academy Kids is a free, fun educational program that will inspire a lifetime of learning for young children ages 2-7. The curriculum is aligned with the Head Start Early Learning Outcomes Framework, kindergarten, and first grade Common Core Standards, and includes thousands of activities that delve deep into topics ranging from math to motor development.
The program is available as a mobile app on tablets and smartphones and is designed primarily for home and family use. But we have heard from teachers who are using Khan Academy Kids in their preschool, kindergarten and early elementary classrooms. See our 5-star review on Common Sense Education for tips on teaching with this tool.
What are the learning topics covered by Khan Academy Kids?
The learning content inside Khan Academy Kids includes thousands of activities and books for kids ages 2 -7 that are aligned with the Head Start Learning Outcomes Framework and Common Core Standards. These activities delve deep into topics ranging from math to motor development, as follows:
- Reading and literacy—knowledge of print, phonological awareness, alphabet knowledge, fiction and nonfiction books, spelling, early writing, and more
- Language—vocabulary, opposites, prepositions, common objects, verbs, adjectives, capitalization, punctuation, sentence types and more
- Math—counting, numbers, quantities, addition, subtraction, shapes, measuring, ordering, patterns, telling time, number lines, ten frames and more
- Social-emotional development—social relationships, emotional development and control, empathizing, friendships, and more
- Executive function and logic—focus, self-control, working memory, flexible thinking, problem-solving, and more
- Motor and physical development—gross and fine motor development, safety, health, nutrition, and more
- Creative expression—drawing, storytelling, recording, self-expression, coloring, and more
Our adaptive learning path creates a sequence of activities by adjusting to your child's level. To get a full view of our scope and sequence, navigate to our Library. From the home screen, tap the book icon in the top left corner. You will see an extensive menu of activities, books, and videos, which entails the full scope of our app. The library also allows you to see the sequence with our leveling feature. For 123, Reading, and Logic + tabs, you will see a small drop-down menu to select learning levels Preschool through 1st Grade.
How do teachers set up an account on Khan Academy Kids?
Please note: The Khan Academy Kids mobile app is separate from the main Khan Academy website and requires a separate account because the accounts are not linked. If you already have an account on khanacademy.org you will still need to sign up separately for the Khan Academy Kids mobile app.
- To sign up, download the free Khan Academy Kids app
- On the Sign-Up page, enter your teacher email address. A single teacher email address can be used to set up multiple profiles for students in a classroom.
- Follow the prompts in the app to verify your email address.
- Add user profiles with names and avatars for each student.
- Download the app onto a second classroom device.
- On the Sign-Up page, select "already have an account".
- Follow the prompts in the app to set a password.
- For each additional device, use your teacher email and password to log into the app.
Once Khan Academy Kids is installed onto classroom tablets and signed in with the teacher’s email and password, students can open the app on their device and tap the avatar with their name to start playing. Because every user profile includes personalized learning progress, it is important that children do not use the profiles of other students.
How do children use the app?
From the home screen, students can choose to tap the big green button to start a personalized learning journey with Kodi the bear, or they can choose their own activities from the Library or character rooms.
The Learning Path automatically cycles through topics like math, language arts, logic and social-emotional development. The Learning Path surfaces content at a level that is appropriate for each student based on how they are doing in the app. If students get interrupted while playing on the Learning Path, they will automatically start at the next lesson upon returning to the app and pressing the play button.
How can Khan Academy Kids help students get ready for school?
The first day of school can be very exciting. Open Khan Academy Kids to find fun activities for learning letters, numbers, shapes, colors, social skills, and daily routines. Read our recommendations on ways families can use Khan Academy Kids to start school strong. For parents who are interested in using the app at home, this Parent Guide can help them get started.
Can teachers view learning progress for their students?
Teachers can see progress for each student by opening the Library inside the app. Access the Library by tapping the purple book icon on the top left corner of the Home screen. If an activity has been completed, colored checkmarks (green, yellow or red) will indicate a student’s progress on a topic.
Is there a web version of Khan Academy Kids?
At this time, Khan Academy Kids is only available as a mobile app on smartphones and tablets. The app is supported across multiple platforms, including Apple’s iOS App Store, Google Play, and Amazon. In addition, some Chromebooks with touchscreens and access to the Google Play store also work with the app.
Is there a presentation I can use to introduce teachers to Khan Academy Kids?
We’d like to hear what you think
Teachers and educators, feel free to contact us at any time throughout your classroom deployment by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions or comments.
We also love to hear from you on social media. Follow us on Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook so we can hear about all of the ways you are using Khan Academy Kids in the classroom.