Khan Academy Kids is designed as a mobile-first learning experience with interactive touch screens for little learners, and is accessible via a mobile app on smartphones and tablets. The app requires an internet connection to access its comprehensive collection of early learning content, and is free to download from the Apple iTunes, Google Play, and Amazon app stores.
Hardware and software models supported by Khan Academy Kids
- iPhone 5, 6, 7, 8, and X using iOS 9.3.5 or later
- iPad using iOS 9.3.5 or later
- Google-certified Android phones and tablets running Android 5.0 or later with access to the Google Play store
- Chromebooks running OS version 56 or higher with access to the Google Play Store (device list)
- Amazon tablets (2014 or later) running Fire OS 5.0 or later with access to the Amazon Appstore.
- Note: For those with Fire tablets running Amazon FreeTime, download Khan Academy Kids from a parent profile, and then make the app available to your child's profile through the Amazon FreeTime settings.
- Windows 11 devices with access to the Amazon Appstore (device requirements)
Basic troubleshooting tips
- Check that the app is running the latest version from the app stores on your device. If it's not running the latest version, please update the app.
- Reboot/restart your device. Please ensure you power the device all the way off before turning it back on. For Apple devices, follow these tips => https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201559. For Android devices, try forcing a restart by holding the power button and volume button at the same time. Hold them down until the phone goes ‘blank’ (finally powers off). Then, start the device again.
- Try the app from a different network. Sometimes there can be intermittent connectivity issues on certain types of networks that impact the app's performance. There can also be network firewalls on school networks that prohibit connectivity to the app. To test, please disconnect your device from your current network connection, and reconnect to a secondary network such as a public hotspot or a cellular data network to see if you get the same error.
- Test the speed of your download connection at www.speedtest.net to verify that the download speeds exceed 1mbps.
- Try clearing cache and checking storage on your device settings.
- Check permissions in your device settings to ensure permissions are not blocked for Khan Kids.
- Try deleting and reinstalling the app. However, this will erase artwork in the app's Gallery, so export artwork if possible before deleting it.
- If you are a teacher or network administrator trying to access the app from a school network, there could be a firewall in place. Please follow these steps to address the issue.
- If the problem persists, please submit a request so we can help (if possible, please include a video or screenshot of the error and a bug report for Android devices).