[Are you a district administrator? Please contact us at email@example.com for implementation support.]
Table of Contents:
- Learn more about Khan Academy Kids.
- Find out if Khan Kids is compatible with devices owned by your school or district.
- Use Khan Academy Kids with Clever.
- Create an implementation plan to make Khan Kids work for teachers.
- Onboard teachers with our shareable resources.
Learn more about Khan Academy Kids.
Khan Academy Kids is an award-winning educational program for young learners in preschool through 2nd grade (for ages 2 to 8 years). The app is 100% free and can be downloaded from the Apple, Google Play, or Amazon app store. Khan Academy Kids engages kids in core subjects like early literacy, reading, writing, language, and math, while encouraging creativity and building social-emotional skills. The app is compatible with smartphones, tablets, and Chromebooks with the Google Play Store. See here for more information about device compatibility.
The Khan Academy Kids app includes Teacher Tools that support remote learning. With Teacher Tools, you can:
- Set up your class easily (including rostering with Clever if your district uses Clever)
- Sign in with Class Codes
- Search lessons by Common Core or Head Start educational standards
- Assign lessons to individual students or the whole class
- Set Due Dates for assignments so you can assign lessons in advance
- View reports to monitor student progress
Watch the short video below to hear Caroline Hu Flexer, the CEO and co-founder of Khan Academy Kids, provide an overview of the functions available with Teacher Tools.
Research by the University of Massachusetts Amherst Showed that Khan Academy Kids Boosts Pre-Literacy Skills in Preschool Children
A recent study conducted by researchers at UMass shows that Khan Academy Kids increases pre-literacy skills among preschool-aged children from low-income families. Researchers followed 49 four-and five-year-old children from families with an annual median income of $24,000. Before the study, the children’s pre-literacy skills were well below the national average. Over a 10-week period, the children were asked to play with the Khan Academy Kids app for 20 minutes per day. At the end of the study, their pre-literacy skills rose to almost the national average. Their overall scores on TOPEL (Test of Preschool Early Literacy) rose from the 34th percentile to the 47th percentile (a .72 effect size). The children’s phonological awareness subscore on TOPEL rose from the 23rd percentile to the 47th percentile (a .56 effect size). As a comparison, any effect size of 0.2 or greater is considered large, and the size of the gains are as large as those found by expensive interventions. For example, the phonological gains are comparable to those found in an intervention of 25 one-on-one sessions with a professional tutor.
Find out if Khan Kids is compatible with devices owned by your school or district.
- Where is our program hosted? Khan Academy Kids is a mobile app that is stored locally on devices. It is available on the Apple, Google Play, and Amazon app stores.
- Is there a version on the web? No, Khan Academy Kids is designed as a mobile-first experience. Khan Kids cannot be accessed from a desktop or laptop computer, and the program is not available on a web browser.
- What devices are we compatible with? We are compatible with most iPhones, iPads, Google-certified Android phones, Amazon tablets, and Chromebooks. For a full list of devices that we are compatible with, click here.
- Do we have single-sign options? Yes, we are now compatible with Clever. Learn more about setup here, or reach out to our district partnerships team at firstname.lastname@example.org
- What if teachers are experiencing internet connection errors? If teachers are reporting seeing a black screen when they tap lessons, seeing the characters run across the screen, or not being able to see student progress scores, please contact a tech administrator and ask them to safelist the list of sites here.
Use Khan Academy Kids with Clever.
We offer integration with the single sign-on platform Clever. Clever is a digital learning platform that many schools use for rostering, messaging, and student information. Khan Academy Kids is available to access in the Clever SecureSync portal and for teachers via Clever Library. For more details about how to access Khan Academy Kids with Clever, see here.
For districts that do not use Clever, teachers may manually add students to their class once the Khan Academy Kids app is installed on devices.
Create an implementation plan to make Khan Kids work for teachers.
With Teacher Tools, teachers can assign lessons and view student progress. These foundational features are flexible, allowing for school administrators to use Khan Kids in a variety of ways that can be tailored to teachers’ needs.
As a school administrator, you may choose to suggest lessons for teachers to assign each week that are aligned with school-wide academic goals. We’ve heard from many teachers that they prefer to plan out assignments a week in advance. For example, one math and one literacy lesson for each day, for a total of 10 assignments over the course of the week. Sending a monthly email with assignments mapped out by week is a great way to support teachers, especially for those who are teaching remotely. To learn more about ways that teachers use Khan Kids and suggested implementation plans, click here.
If you are a district administrator, please contact us at email@example.com for further implementation support.
Onboard teachers with our shareable resources.
It’s time to get teachers started with Khan Kids! Teachers can be directed toward our quick setup guide, or you can use our shareable resources to conduct a school-wide professional development session.
Here are the resources that are linked in the onboarding presentation:
- A PDF with instructions to send to families in English and in Spanish: Send as a PDF attachment to an email, or as a photo in a Remind message or text message.
- Family Onboarding presentation: Teachers can use this presentation to walk families through the process of joining with a Class Code. Perfect for a back-to-school night or parent-teacher night!
- Implementation Strategies: Use this document to decide how Khan Academy Kids will be used at a school level, or send to teachers for them to decide how they would like to use Khan Kids for their individual classroom. Fill out the Implementation Plan Template to create an at-a-glance document outlining how Khan Kids will be used.
- Teacher checklist: Teachers can walk through this checklist to get familiar with the features inside the app.
- A link to our help desk. Go here for frequently asked questions and support articles with step-by-step instructions.