With Teacher Tools, you can assign lessons to students and view their progress. Teachers can assign different lessons to individual students to meet student’s learning needs. When creating an assignment, there is an Assign Dialog that offers the option to select the whole class, select an individual student, or select a group of students. Continue reading below for step-by-step instructions for creating assignments.
This article explains how to assign lessons to students. If you’d like to assign lessons to students by standard, please see this article. If you’d like to learn more about viewing student progress, please read instructions here. To learn more about assigning different lessons to individual students, see this article.
How to assign lessons
1. Open the app and tap your teacher avatar. Enter your password to see your teacher view.
2. You will see tabs across the top of the screen. The first three tabs can only be viewed by the teacher. These tabs are "Students," "Assignments," and "Search."
|The Students tab allows you to edit student profiles and view student progress.|
|The Assignments tab allows you to see lessons that you have assigned.|
|The Search tab allows you to search for lessons by national education standard, like CCSS and Head Start ELOF. For more information on searching for lessons by standard, click here.|
3. Across the top of the screen, browse through tabs labeled: "ABC, 123, Reading, Logic+, Books, and Video." These are the tabs in our Khan Academy Kids Library. Select each tab and scroll through the lessons under each topic. The 123, Reading, and Logic+ sections of the Library have adjustable learning levels. The drop-down menu in the upper right corner will be automatically set to your class level, and can be adjusted to view more lessons. Levels start at Preschool (Age 2) and continue through 1st Grade.
4. To assign a lesson, you must enter into the lesson by tapping the thumbnail. At any point while the lesson is playing, tap the heart ❤️ button in the top left corner to assign. When you tap the heart button, you will see a dialog that allows you to select the recipient(s) of the assignment and the day you would like students to see the assignment. You can select the whole class, select an individual student, or select a group of students. Tap "Save" to assign the lesson.
5. To view the lessons you have assigned, go to the Assignments tab. Now your lesson has been assigned!
6. You can delete assignments from the Assignments tab. Tap “Delete Assignments.” You will see small “x” buttons. You can delete individual activities, or you can delete an entire day’s worth of assignments by tapping the “x” button next to the date.
7. You can edit assignments from the Assignments tab. Tap the lesson thumbnail and then tap the heart ❤️ button that says "Assigned." You can edit the Due Date and the students who received the assignment. Be sure to tap "Save" to confirm any changes. Learn more about editing assignments here.
How students view assignments
On the Student’s Homepage, at the top left next to the Library button, they will see a red heart ❤️ with a number, which tells them how many Assignments they have. The Library button will pulse to indicate that there are pending assignments. When they tap the Library button, it will automatically open to their Assignments tab, and they will see the lessons you have assigned. Please note that any assignments with a future Due Date will not appear in the student view. Learn more about Due Dates here.
To continue through our Class Account onboarding modules, read Module 4 next to learn how to view student progress.